Topic for September
Telehealth can help you connect with your VA Care Team
Telehealth can provide easier access to care. You can connect with your VA care teams and specialists, no matter the distance. Telehealth can reduce travel and bring care closer to you through:
- Phone calls
- Telehealth or Televisits
- Remote monitoring
- Mobile apps
VA Video Connect Visits
VA Video Connect (also called Telehealth) allows you to meet with your providers in a virtual medical room using the camera on a smartphone, computer or divt.
You and your provider work together to schedule online video visits. You can even invite family members and caregivers to join the sessions.
Talk with your VA provider about using VA Video Connect if you:
- Live far from your VA facility or have limited access to VA facilities
- Have health conditions that make traveling to the VA specialist you need difficult
- Lack time to regularly attend in-person visits
- Don’t require a hands-on physical exam
Remote Monitoring allows you to send health data from the comfort of your home, using your computer or mobile device. This way, your health care team will have the information they need to manage your care. Your health data will not be collected without your informed consent. Remote Monitoring equipment may be used to track your:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar level
- Blood oxygen level
- Heart and lung sounds
- Other chronic diseases
How it works
- You are assessed for remote monitoring services
- If deemed appropriate, VA provides a device to fit your needs and gives you training on how to use it
- VA assigns you a remote monitoring care coordinator
- Your care coordinator contacts VA hospitals and providers and helps you arrange treatment changes, clinic visits and hospital admissions, if needed
VA Mobile develops apps that give both Veterans and VA care teams safe and secure mobile access to health data – to provide more ways for Veterans to be involved in their health care.
They also feature health care and wellness apps for caregivers and civilians. To browse options, visit the VA App Store.
To learn more talk with a VA social worker or visit www.va.gov/Geriatrics.